Surrey, BC, is one of the most fascinating and exciting cities in Canada today. It is growing at a rapid pace and predictions are that the population size will overtake Vancouver within the next couple of decades.
With an eye on the future, real estate in Surrey is a great place to invest your money. Whether you are looking for a condo, townhouse, or starter home, there is something for everyone in this multi-cultural, innovative and exciting slice of the Lower Mainland.
For a city with such rapid growth, plans need to be in place to accommodate the changes. So, what will the city look like in 10 years?
What Will Surrey Look Like in 10 Years?
The municipal government has a keen eye on the next decade with major investments slated for water, sewage, drainage and transportation and roadways, including the Highway 99 Corridor.
1. Agriculture Enhancement & Protection Strategy
More than 30% of Surrey’s total land range is reserved as farmland, which increases food security for residents and creates hundreds of jobs in farming and cultivation. Investing in land use is a priority for the City of Surrey over the next 10 years, and 5 strategic directions, called the Agriculture Enhancement and Protection Strategy, include:
- Land Base. Preserve and enhance Surrey’s agricultural land base for farming.
- Innovation. Encourage and support innovation in production, processing and marketing across the agriculture sector.
- Infrastructure. Provide infrastructure necessary to support the growth and viability of the agricultural industry.
- Agri-Urban Connections. Enhance connections and relationships between agriculture an urban residents.
- Sustainability and Resiliency. Ensure a sustainable and resilient agri-food sector into the future.
2. Public Safety
As we are all aware, public safety is a pressing matter for residents of this incredible city. Surrey has its own Crime Reduction Policy that has a forward-thinking action plan that includes collaborations and partnerships with many different stakeholders. Some of these include:
- Surrey Police
- Surrey Fire Service
- City of Surrey Social Planning
- City of Surrey Sustainability
- City of Surrey Parks Recreation and Culture
- Surrey Libraries
- The city of Surrey Engineering and Transportation
- Surrey Community Associations
- Surrey Businesses
- Surrey Schools
3. Business incubation
A city this vibrant and exciting is also naturally innovative. Health, science, and research all have major stakes in Surrey, and the tech sector is growing fast, too. In fact, a startup “incubator” was recently launched in Surrey, to attract and grow new and businesses and companies. It is incredibly multi-cultural, has an advanced manufacturing sector and ground-breaking art scene.
The residents and the government of Surrey are not afraid of new ideas. In fact, the mayor recently proposed filling some of the roads with water to create a canal system, and the idea is being considered!
If you are considering moving to Surrey, you won’t be alone. The population is growing with no signs of slowing down. Why not invest in a city that has a bright future ahead? In 10 years, you are going to be glad you did.
Investing in real estate is one of the smartest things you can do with your money and there are great opportunities to get in on the ground level in this city. Condos and townhouses are on the market at a range of price points, so whether you are looking to increase your portfolio or invest in your first home ownership, Surrey is an excellent place to look. Please contact us if you need to find a home in Surrey.